Re: IML: Why did drums hang around so long?

Re: IML: Why did drums hang around so long?

> From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: IML: why did drums hang around so long?
>
> 1978 VCR:  $1000/20 lbs
> 1999 VCR:  $59 ($20 in 1978 dollars?)/2 lbs
>
> I think it comes down to economies of scale.
>
> That's my pitch on that question.  will be curious to
> hear what others say.

My understanding is it's a few things. Inertia played a big part, all the machinery was already set up for making drums, and drums are easier to make than disks.

I think a large part of it was the way the designers of the time thought about things. In a drum system, all the parts are protected inside the drum - back in the day, engineers tended to think of that as being generally better. Another, related point is that until the '70s, the rubber used for the various flexible parts either had to be expensive, or protected (like in a drum) to last well. Cheap plastic/rubber seals that are extremely durable are a relatively modern phenomenon.

I also sort of suspect that disk brake systems have a higher initial cost, even though they have much lower maintenance costs. A caliper usually costs a heck of a lot less than a wheel cylinder or two, for example, and e-brake systems for 4-wheel disk cars are kind of fiddly. Manufacturers are all about initial cost, they don't much care about maintenance costs.

   -Kle.
   '69 Crown 4DHT (waiting for the next cash transfusion)