Re: IML: Alaskas youngest Imp fan

Hi guys,
Again my 2 cents worth.  I was in Alaska for a number of years.  When I was there I went to a car show in Anchorage.  This show had some of the neatest car and truck I had ever seen, but not many.  I asked a person at the show why there was less then 20 cars in it.  I was told that most cars over the age of 10 years are rusted beyond repair.  I guess what I am trying to say is, any old car is worth something in that area.  So if you decide to sell.  Sell to a person that will restore the car.  If not try to keep it dry.  I can tell you that covering it with tarps will cause more rust from the ground.  If you park it on a good tarp then wrap the car it is better than nothing.  You can also get moisture retaining products to place in the car and under it between the tarp and the car.  You just dump them and reuse.  No guarantee on the rust problem.  Like Paul said this can be an expensive hobby.  I suppose parts are very hard to find in your state.  Advertise the car in the local thrifty paper and see if you get a bite.  Other wise you are stuck with it.  It takes a person that has special spot in their heart for these old cars.  You mention that your Imperial is the only one in the area, that is good.  A 62 if a very unique car to say the least.  I remember when I first seen my 55.  The words that came out of my mouth were, "What the hell is that!"  I new it was about a 55 but it was the first 55 Imperial I had ever seen.  I then stopped to inquire about the car and the next thing I knew I was loading it on at trailer.  My wife was upset but she went for it.  I soon found out why the car was not sold before me.  Man everything I needed for it was very expensive.  I know have the only 55 in the area.  It is clean, drivable and pointed at by everyone you drive by.  I also have a street rod and the Imperial get way more attention.  When I first got the car, I thought I made a mistake.  It was stored where ever I could get it.  It even spent 2 years in the back yard.  My wife and I love the car and would never get ride of it.  So I hope you do keep it and restore or up date the car with newer things if needed.  No matter what you will be the one pointed at on the street.  To this day it still gives me that feeling of importance.  In short I hope you get that feeling in the future.  It is the greatest feeling in the world.
RC Billings, Montanaaaa   It was Shishmaref, AK

PAUL WENTINK <randalpark@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Here's another thought, all past regrets and dreams aside.

If you don't have the time or the money, and the car is sitting out in
the weather, it will only get worse. Sell it now and buy another one
later. If its not a family heirloom, then it doesn't matter. Someone
else may have the resources to fix it or could use the parts. When I
bought my '56 as a used car over 35 years ago, I was 19, got an extra
job washing dishes in a Chinese restaurant, spent many cold nights in
the Seattle rain working on the car, and allowed myself to become
obsessed in keeping it up. I had nearly NO social life.

At the age I am now, none of this could happen. I don't have the time
or the energy, even though some folks are amazed at what I can still
get done. At the time, my car ALWAYS ran, looked good, and represented
my freedom. I drove a lot and gas was only 25 cents a gallon. No one
complained about the size of my "carbon foot print", though many people
thought that I was mentally ill. Maybe I was/am. I still have my '56
Imperial and I am exceedingly glad that I do. Over the years, I have
paid money for storage, and eventually had a garage built to keep it
in. Since then,the car has sat for long periods without being used. I
have never regretted keeping it, but it took a LOT of money,
dedication, and work. It still isn't restored because other
cars/project/life have come along in the meantime. I don't have a
family or kids to feed, so I haven't felt guilty about my obsessions.

If you are a car nut and want to keep it, you will figure it out. If
not there will always be another one someday when you are ready.

Paul W.