From: david carpenter <zirc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 2:13 pm
Subject: Re: IML: 413 engine rebuild 59 Imperial crown

The car was not submerged, trans fluid ok. I will have an answer on Monday after the machine shop magnafluxes the heads and block. It could be that the head gasket separated enough to let in water. I am not experienced in  detecting a blown head gasket. Someone who is said the gaskets appeared to be intact. I think it might have a very small crack in the block, if anything. If it does have a small crack what do other members of this club think about the success of welding such a small crack if it is in a low stress area? Thanks, David
----- Original Message ----- From: "PAUL WENTINK" <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:58 AM

None of the theories that you have surmised are relevant to the 413.
If it > had water in it, there is a crack or had a bad gasket. I live in Seattle > where we have lots of moisture in the air. Condensation could be your > problem, but I haven't seen that happen to any of my cars, even if they > sit for long periods, except possibly just inside the dipstick tube. Was > you car ever submerged? There should be no rust inside the engine.

Paul W.