RE: IML: 59 413 engine color

I hope this helps you a little further in your rebuilding project.

Speaking about rebuilding, was it difficult to find all the necessary parts?

Since this is a RB block one could expect some difficulties I think..

Everything should be readily available except the pistons.  Pistons are still available too, just not so quickly and they are getting pricey at close to $75 each.  I’m sure they could be had a little cheaper…  I just like to stick with the “guy that knows” for my parts.

And, btw, do you have a good trick to remove that bolt that keeps the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft?

I am in progress of replacing the timing chain of my engine, but are a little afraid to start cause everyone told me that

this bolt is very hard to remove..

I have had very good luck with a ½ ratchet and a 5’ breaker bar.  All the ones I have done have come out pretty easy with me on the bottom side with breaker bar and a strong helper on the top side holding the a/c belts to stop the engine from turning.  If you are worried about it and don’t want to try the starter trick take it by an independent mechanic and have him hit it with a big ol’ Impact wrench.  He can loosen it then snug it back for you.

Break this bolt loose first thing so you don’t have to worry about it being stuck once you tear everything else down.  It’s easier with the  radiator out of the car but can still be done with everything hooked up.

                   Steve B.