IML: Re urethane motor mounts

With regards rebuilt motor mounts using urethane instead of rubber, it's no good! I did just that to a 65 Thunderbird about 3 years ago due to the correct ones not being easily available here in Australia, after fitting, the mount seemed to be okay, the guy said he'd mixed it to the same resilience as rubber so should be fine, which it was, (for a while), gradually I started to notice a fine vibration creeping into the car, on checking it out I found the urethane had turned as hard as a rock, the reason I was given was that the normal heat from under the hood had caused it to harden, and that it was totally unsuitable anywhere there is heat like you would get around an engine, you don't get that in suspension components, etc. also you get cool air flow under a car but not under the hood. The other drawback is that urethane will not bond to steel like the vulcanization you get with rubber, so unless the mount plates press vertically down onto the flexible block the urethane will simply let go and the engine will drop after a very short time.
Steer clear of it, it's no good and finding out could be costly.

Tony, Oz.