Re: IML: exhaust manifold studs for chrysler Big Block 413

aren't we all....
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob van der Es" <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: IML: exhaust manifold studs for chrysler Big Block 413

Sorry, I was looking for BRASS nuts..

Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: <pnkmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:25 PM

What are "brash nuts" or was that just a typo? Are they something miraculous that will dispense with the danger of frozen manifold nuts/broken studs?

Patrick

Rob van der Es wrote:
Hi list,

I have finally found myself a good driverside exhaust manifold for my 1960 Imperial. Last summer I broke the flange of my original manifold (front pipe hit a large roadbump..) and although it was welded again it still leaks a little (problably a warped flange due to welding....).

During the removal I snapped 3 manifold studs, they were broken off flush with the head. I was able to remove two studs by drilling them out carefully, without damaging the threads. Since I couldn't find the manifold studs anywhere I used bolts then to secure the welded manifold again. The third broken stud couldn't be removed at that time, there was (and is..) no room for a conventional drill.
This is the last one on the driverside of the car.
Recently I found my self an angled drill (90 degrees head, total tickness only 3 inches!), so I should be able to drill that last one out too! (after preparing myself mentally for this terrible job..)

Then I will be finally able to mount an original exhaust manifold without any repaired cracks :) And to do the job real good, I want to replace my 3 broken studs with new ones.

Does anyone have  a source where I can buy

a) 3 new exhaust manifolds studs (stainless steel would be great, but standard will also do) b) 6 brash nuts (to avoid future trouble when I ever have to remove that manifold again, which heaven should forbid!)

Thanks,

Robert
1960 Imperial 4Dr HT