Re: IML: Whither my 58?

Thanks for the update, Hugh.  Needless to say, we are all pulling for you and the Imperial.  Best wishes. . .

Doug Norton
1964 Crown Coupe
1969 Pontiac Grand Prix
2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Hugh, 58 Imperial <imperial58@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When I rejoined the list I had cautiously optimistic hopes that I had found
a resolution to the situation with my 58 which is as follows.  I always say
"my" but the car is really owned by the Texas Transportation Museum in San
Antonio, of which I am the manager.  Some years ago the engine and the
transmission had to be rebuilt.  A very wealthy museum donor, the owner of a
vast trucking company, volunteered to have the work done.  The rebuilding
was indeed performed but the engine has never been reassembled or
reinstalled.  The impasse came about because the truck company shops have
only two guys with the skills necessary to do the work but they are in high
demand for the everyday functioning of the company.  I thought I had found a
good resolution in the form of an outside mechanic who would do the work for
a very reasonable fee but my financial situation took a turn for the worse
and so, here we are.

Once again, however, I think there may be light at the end of my long, dark,
twisted tunnel.  Recently a museum volunteer has become quite froggy about
working on cars at the museum.  A Corvair we worked on is now up on e-bay,
finding a much higher level of bidding than we anticipated.  The same thing
happened with a Studebaker last year and a Buick several years before that.
The only car that we failed to sell was a 1973 Imperial which, regrettably,
we had to send to the junk yard.  In retrospect it might have been possible
to save it but, at the time, it was a lose / lose proposition.  Now that we
have sold everything we plan to, we are focusing on cars we like and want to
get running well and keep.  We are working on a 29 REO which is absolutely
the worst designed car from a mechanical point of view that we have ever
come across.  Next we be our 63 Lincoln.  And then, and then, and then,
maybe, just maybe, I can persuade him to work on the Imperial.  I personally
rebuilt the top end of the 392 some seven years ago.  I cannot recall such
difficult work that I enjoyed more.  It's up there in the top three with my
wife saying yes to my marriage proposal and the birth of my daughter.  You
sweat bullets but the rewards are amazing.  I really think Ben will go for
it.

The body of the car has suffered while it has languished but I don't think
its beyond the point of past return.  This therefore is my new plan.  To
save this car come hell or high water.  If I had money It would already be
finished.  And, of course, this hobby is not a poor man's game, in all
honesty.  But, one does what one can.  It may take another year but I really
believe it's doable and will get done.

Just thought y'all might care for an update.

Hugh Hemphill
58 Imperial
San Antonio, Texas

-----------------  http://www.imperialclub.com  -----------------