IML: Silicone Grease

Long ago, Dick Benjamin recommended this for protecting rubber. I bought it at a pool supply store and it's great. From wikipedia:

Silicone grease is commonly used for lubricating and preserving rubber parts, such as O-rings. Additionally, silicone grease does not swell or soften the rubber, which can be a problem with hydrocarbon based greases. It functions well as a corrosion-inhibitor and lubricant for purposes that require a thicker lubricant, such as the operating mechanism of the M1 Garand rifle.