IML: Sagging Imperial Rear Ends

I agree with one post that said to have new springs made to OEM specifications. There are some threads about this topic available on the club website archives. Be sure to consult them too. Many years of Imperials with rear leaf springs have engineered-in rear end steering during cornering situations that would be defeated by heavy duty springs. I would recommend staying with the original number of leaves in the springs and keeping the car stock. If air or spring-assist shock absorbers put too much stress on the shock absorber brackets and cause them to crack, then in the long run they would not be worth the cost. A number of our members have stated that they had good results by having their OEM springs re-arced. That method is probably less expensive than brand new springs. Of course you would need to verify that the OEM springs were not metal fatigued (developing stress cracks) before having them repaired.

Good luck.

Joe
begin:vcard
fn:Joe Strickland
n:Strickland;Joe
adr;dom:;;1021 Vaughan Lane;Tioga;Texas;76271
email;internet:jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxx
version:2.1
end:vcard