IML: '61 Imperial Wiring Burned Up

Mark;

I think Paul has it right - the problem will be upstream of any fuses or circuit breakers. Look for additional burned wires under the hood, especially near any brackets and fasteners that could have pinched wire insulation when something was secured. Make sure that moving parts such as pulleys and belts have not worn through insulation of any wires. Look for any wires that may have come in contact with an exhaust manifold. Check especially around the alternator. If really heavy current has passed through your ammeter circuit, you may also have to replace the ammeter gauge after making other repairs. Check all points where the heavy wires involved go through the firewall and/or connect to a source or load. Make sure that all connections are bright and shiny. You can remove the alternator and starter and have them checked at an auto parts store to make sure you don't have a short inside one of them.

Good luck!

Joe
begin:vcard
fn:Joe Strickland
n:Strickland;Joe
adr;dom:;;1021 Vaughan Lane;Tioga;Texas;76271
email;internet:jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxx
version:2.1
end:vcard