From: Jim Stacey
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 12:29 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Sure Brake ABS for '71 Imperial

Frank makes a good point about replacement parts being the big issue in the future even if you get the junkyard system working to start with.  I am thinking particularly of the front rotors, as I believe (never seen them myself) they are machined in a unique way to provide a signal to the sensors via a ?tone wheel? incorporated into the rotor.  According to the FSM it looks like the standard drums are used on the rear with the addition of a ?drive ring? for the rear sensors so you might be OK there.  It is hard enough to find regular rotors for a ?71 ? ?73 let alone Sure Brake rotors.  If the rotors on the junkyard donor car are not within the thickness limits for safe braking then the whole project could be scuttled.  Even if they are thick enough now ? these are obviously wear items and if the vehicle is driven much at all, they will eventually become unsafe.

Jim Stacey

?73 perpetual resto

Ontario Canada