Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 10:18 PM
Subject: IML: Old Cars, Old Clubs, Old Parts, Old Time

Fellow Imperialist's:

    The reminiscing about the origination of the club has brought a few queries to mind concerning our Old Car Game.  Back before the Internet and all its inherent resources [talking in the 1970's getting my license], I had a car of early sixties vintage which I used as a daily driver and its resultant personality kept me in touch with most of the salvage yards in the area here north of Boston, from which there were plenty to choose.

    Enter the EPA and clean-ups, etc., then soon there were few left, making it harder to chase parts down.  A lot harder.  I would spend hour upon hour trying referenced phone number after phone number from kind boneyard owner's, who if they did not have what I needed, would pass along another number.  Then there was the matter of shipping:  somewhat restrictive as vendor's were not so kind as today, and frankly there were no choices but Uncle Sam in essence.  These were factors in me selling the car, and thusly for a long time I did not have to deal with 'the chase'.  Upon purchase of my 1956 Imperial that changed and this club's list of phenomenal vendor's coupled with the proliferation of the before mentioned Internet, in conjunction with booming aftermarket parts availability, and all of a sudden, at least it seemed to me the plumber, parts were hardly difficult to find, and even the alleged tough items were found to be available generally--of course for a price.

    This all makes for satisfied antique car owner's and many profitable businesses.  Being a young 45 {LOL} my question is directed to those who did business in the junking/saving car game pre-Internet and specifically to those whose yards and to those parts collector's who were dedicated to a particular brand (think Lowell Howe):  1) did word of mouth or car clubs provide enough exposure for good business?, 2) what was the preferred method of advertisement?, 3)  has this Internet made salvage businesses more successful than word of mouth ever did?

    I know every time I think this Internet is an end all for it all, a guy like Lowell, or a similarly genuine formerly unknown car mechanic or the like reveals to me old fashioned early rising and fine service still proves advertising and exposure isn't always necessary ...... thanks for any insight.

Jack