Getting started on the '58 Southampton, questions

Getting started on the '58 Southampton, questions

Well, Patrick, are you having fun yet?  For what its worth, I think the cylinder numbers are 1 - 3 - 5 - 7, front to back, on the passenger side of the engine and 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 on the driver's side.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I hope.  Getting plug #7, the one "under" the blower motor, is a bit tough but it should come out OK with the right length of extension.  Welcome to the wacky world of the 392 Hemi.  You'd think such a big car would give you loads of room to work but this is one heck of a tightly squeezed in engine!

You learn something everyday.  I have removed the fan shroud fairly often on mine but I've never removed just the top half though I was dimly aware there were bolts keeping the thing together.  The first time I had mine out we removed the fan at the same time and I think I have just continued doing that.  Also I have never tried to turn the engine 'manually.'  It just never came up.  Maybe someone else here has and they can tell you how easy it should be, or not.

You were not misled about using the neutral button to start the car.  I've never heard of anyone having a starter
position through the ignition key.  My car has been modified with an additional button below the key.  I am quite concerned on your behalf about this.  If it has been modified to this extent, I hope they added a more normal
neutral safety switch.

Maybe the car is in gear.  The amount of movement caused by pushing the buttons is so infinitesimal it may be that yours is somehow locked into gear.  I assume you know how to release the parking brake, but just in case its one of the round switches to the left of the steering column.  When you release it you should get a satisfactory clunk as the spring activated release occurs.  If you are not getting it, then your drive shaft may be locked up.  If you are also in gear, that could be why you cannot turn the engine.

Evidently, there is going to be some trial and error here.  The starter motor should not be engaging when you turn the key.  If the adjustment of the gear selector cable is way off then it could, I suppose, be acting as if the neutral button was being pressed.  If that cable is removed it should go to neutral by design.  Maybe you should disconnect the cable and see what happens.

Do you have your work cut out for you?  Yes, it seems you do.  Can I assure you that, yes, the game is worth the candle?  I most certainly can.  I have been fortunate enough to drive a great many cars and trucks, of all ages and sizes.  I can honestly say that nothing comes even close to driving an Imperial.  When its good, there's nothing better.  When its not so good, it just makes you want to fix it so you can get that buzz going again.

Hugh