Getting started on the '58 Southampton, questions

Getting started on the '58 Southampton, questions

Patrick,

It certainly is discouraging to know that the engine in your car is stuck. As
you read in earlier posts, this is not unusual. I stand behind my original
advice, and would highly suggest that you drop the pan as I indicated earlier.
If the inside of the motor is dark and oily, you may have a chance of freeing
the motor. If it is rusty you will not.

If it becomes free, you should accept the fact early on that the motor should
be rebuilt. The damage from being stuck can be serious and will haunt you
sooner or later. Rebuilding a 392 Hemi is not cheap. I paid over $5,000 to have
my 331 rebuilt over five years ago, and they did the job in their "spare time".
One of the hardest things to find at that time were new pistons. The club may
have a source, but I wasn't a member of the OIC at that time.

The transmission cooler lines are not a serious problem. You can actually
splice them later with hose clamps and rubber lines (probably 3/8 fuel hose).
Although not the preferred method, this is common. Back when I first owned my
'65 Imperial, the transmission went out, and I paid a well known chain to fix
it. I later discovered that they had actually cut the lines and spliced them
this way to put it back together. It ran like that for a number of years until
I finally paid another shop to replace all of the lines and upgrade the
transmission in the process. Those lines can be fixed later, and the repair is
simple and cheap (if you decide to do it yourself).

The black goo in the top end of the engine is not surprising, and is probably
another indication of the lack of care that the car received late in its life.
On the hemi engine, if the bottom end is stuck, the top end often is also. That
means that you should remove the valve covers and disassemble and clean the
rocker shafts before you try to turn the engine again. Damage to those parts
will really cost you, and is totally avoidable by being patient and careful.

Paul