Play In Steering Column

Bill and all,
I know the sound that you have, I think. When the steering wheel has an
amount of pressure put on it, as when one uses it for support while
entering/egressing, a thunk noise is audible w/an associated slight movement
of the steering wheel.

I, too, had thought this could be column bearings. Recently, one of the
scholarly Imperialists on the list explained how this could be the fault of
the input shaft adjustment at the steering box. As I recall, there is an
adjustment on that side of the steering box for it thru the use of shims.
I'm a little rusty on the details. This can be checked by grabbing ahold of
the input shaft and checking for forward/rearward play. If the rag joint is
original, this could exacerbate the situation.

I'm still curious about the steering column bearings. It seems that as much
as the steering shaft is used, the bearings are bound to wear. This site may
help for parts:  http://www.columnsgalore.com/Parts_intro.htm

I see a diagram of a '60 column which may be similar to the '59, at:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1960/FSM/html/19-018.htm
which shows a column bearing.

One can refer to the 1960 FSM, scroll part way down here -
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1960/FSM/html/19-005.htm
to see that the diagnosis for loose steering wheel is the stated steering
box shaft as the 1st place to check. No mention is made of column bearings
as a cause of a loose steering wheel, however.

For steering gears, one of my local rebuild pro's is Firm Feel Steering,
Washington State. http://www.firmfeel.com/

My '63 does the same thing. I'm looking forward to hearing if you have a
successful repair.

Eric
Portland, OR

I am having a very hard time locating the bearings and bushings to repair my
1959 Imperials wobbly steering wheel. I have tried Lowell Howe, Moparts, and
about five other parts sources located on our web site, but I am coming up
empty handed. Does anyone on the list know where I could locate these parts?
have not even been able to find a diagram of the breakdown of the steering
column
which would show me exactly what I am looking for. Phillipe sent a photo,
but
I am still in the dark as to what I need to fix my problem. Any help I could
get here would be greatly appreciated!