Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 1:02 PM
Subject: IML: Job number "next" - hub

Hi!  I learned something new today and  thought I'd let you know that that hub cap IS threaded on the '48 Crown Imperial hub.  It came off fairly easily once I could see what it was trying to get me to do!  I removed the cotter key, nut, washers and bearings but can't get the hub off.  I've tapped gently all around the hub from the back with a hammer and it isn't loosening one little bit.  Some grey/black powder has come out, obviously residue from the brake pads.

Are there any tricks I should know about?  I didn't think it required a puller but it's acting like it does.  I certainly don't want to crack the hub by hitting too hard.  I'm not very excited about using a torch on it either.

I'll pack the bearings as long as they are out, when I put it back together but first I need to get that hub off so I can see what else has to be done.  That manual I'm going to order once I get to AZ would have come in handy now.  I'm sorry I waited but I wasn't expecting this problem.

Ned     '48 Crown Imperial