IML: 1960 Transmission

HI all, I need help finding an affordable, yet good Transmission shop in San Diego. I took my car to a Transmission shop in La Mesa. I have had other transmissions rebuilt there, but this time they are messing with me. I was quoted $895 to rebuild if they didn't need any hard parts. They came back with a quote of $3600.00 because they do need a couple of hard parts and say they have to cut the converter open to rebuild it and weld it back together. They say it will take 40 to 50 hours to rebuild this transmission correctly. I told them to put all the parts in boxes and I will pick the up the car and the parts on Monday. I find it amazing that if they had all the parts they could rebuild it and have it back to me in a day, but all of a sudden it will take 40 to 50 hours to do the work. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Bob