Re: IML: Bias vs. Radial on my 62 Imp.

    Here's a couple more cents worth on this subject. I currently drive two vehicles with bias plys: a 51 Plymouth and a 58 Olds. I dislike the Cokers that are on the Plymouth but since they haven't wore out yet (grrrrrrrr!) I haven't spent the money to replace them. My opinion is that it is not necessarily the Cokers that are inherently bad, but rather the tread width and pattern of the tires. The Olds is rolling on Broadways with 4" wide whites and very often sees speeds in excess of 80 mph. I really have no complaints on the ride quality. I have had other cars that performed much better with radials, most notably a 67 Merc. The ride in that car was awful with bias plys. The Crown rides on radials and likely will until they wear out. I believe one's driving habits and conditions will determine what type of tire is most appropriate. Alex 63 Crown

Mark McDonald wrote:
Dear Dave,

I don't doubt what you say, but I wonder how people in 1962 felt about bias ply tires if they're that bad over 35 mph? Seems like there would have been a lot of complaints.

I couldn't drive in '62, but I rode in a lot of cars from 1960 to 1970 that had bias plies and can't remember any problems. The ride, as I recall, was great in a big luxury car back then.

Just wondering if this is a matter of perception that comes from being used to radials, or is there some other overlooked factor that would make such a big difference???

Mark