Re: IML: Smoke on Dash equals Heater Coil leak

Re: IML: Smoke on Dash equals Heater Coil leak

>This is really a long topic, but I want to add my own
experience with cooling systems and Imperials. And also
offer some practical advice about maintaining the cooling
system on these( or any other) cars.

I now own two- one is a 1966 Crown that had the typical
radiator -filled- with- reddish- soup when I first got the
car about 5 years ago and this mandated a trip to our
closest shop which just happened to be owned by two guys
that had been in the radiator business for many years. I
also have a 1962 LeBaron ( which I am in the selling mode
now) and it , too had the same glorious mixture in the
radiator.

Both of them are now clean-and-green and the one bit of
advice that has done more to get them that way and also keep
them that way was what they told me to do. Bill( the owner)
said go to the closest truck parts store and get a water
filter system that is used on lots of commerical trucks and
you will never have a dirty rusty system again. I have done
that with both and he was absolutely correct.

The 1966 was a worse mess than the 1962 , and was so bad
then that he didn't even want to back flush the block( don't
know why). So I just put on the filter and drove it. The
filter is mounted on the heater intake hose between the
engine block and the temp valve on the firewall. So - as he
said- when the heater didn't heat any more , I'd just get
another filter and spin it on the system. Over about 3 or 4
months I kept looking at the slurry in the radiator and I
watched as it turned to a beautiful green color. The
tendency to over heat also went away.

But the real clincher was just last year when I took the car
in for replacement of the timing chain. I was there right
after the water pump was removed( we also replaced other
stuff) and looked at the insides of the pump and the  block
and saw a perfectly clear cast iron wall with no accumulated
crud.

That was proof enough for me. From now on,any and all my
classic cars will have water filters.

FWIW,

Clark Thomas
Custodian for Moparius Maximus(AKA a 1966 Crown 4DRHT) &
 a 1962 LeBaron 4drht( unnamed as of now)