[FWDLK] Transmission Fluid Loss

Heres my experience with this.  It may not be the problem and I really
don't know the transmissions in the 58's being I have a powerflite in my
55 Ply but I'll add my nickel any way.  Back when I was in the Air Force
in 1968 I drove a 63 Ford Convertible and it did the same as Mary Beth
and Dave mentioned.  I took it to the Ford dealer ship and they cleaned
my strainer and replaced my fluid and sent me home.  Wasn't too long I
was adding more trans fluid and not leaking on the ground.  I went to my
local parts house and was crying on their shoulder and the one guy there
said to pull the hose off the vacuum part that was on my transmission and
see if there was any transmission fluid in the hose.  I did and it was
there and I replaced the vacuum part  and that took care of that. The
diaphragm was broken enough to pull trans fluid out of the transmission
and into the engine and burn it and not notice any smoke out the tailpipe
but still good enough for proper shifting.  Now I don't drive Ford cars
any more (just a Ford van)  maybe this will help and maybe not.  I think
you can take the line off the engine if your trans has a vacuum part on
it and see if there is oil in the line.

Jack  55 Plymouth Belvedere

Dear Friends:
In my '58 318 Belvedere Hardtop with 19400 miles and a Torqueflite
Transmission
I find myself adding upto a quart of Transmission Fluid per 100 miles
yet the garage floor is clean. How am I capable of such a loss
without any telltale spots? Thank you.

Mary Beth

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]