Re: [FWDLK] Exhaust Manifold Heat Riser, and other notes:

Re: [FWDLK] Exhaust Manifold Heat Riser, and other notes:

Ron - I admittedly not not consider a recent overhaul in my response, but -
just a "hot tanking" will not remove the carbon from the intake manifold (
it MIGHT from the heads, since there is usually less build-up).  If someone
does not "chop" it out of the intake manifold  with a chisel, screwdriver
or whatever - it will remain.  Which reminds me of another thing to watch
for during overhaul - sometimes (almost always has been my experience), hot
tanking the cylinder heads will not remove the crud built up in the
"unused" oil passage to the rocker arm shafts (BIG BLOCK ONLY), and if the
heads are re-installed on the opposite bank that they came from - guess
what?  NO oil to the rocker arm shafts.  Always run something through these
holes BEFORE you send them to the machine shop.  I always remove the oil
galley and freeze plugs from the block before I send it also - that way it
gets cleaned, much better than it does if they are removed AFTER the
cleaning process, which most of the time IS when they get removed.  The
small block engines don't have the rocker oiling problem because of a
different system of oil feed - the big blocks feed both banks from the same
cam bearing, and the small blocks do not. If I think of any more of the
ways I've been screwed up during relatively simple steps of engine
building, I'll pass them along.  DaveG.