[FWDLK] Hello

Hi,
   My name is Steve Charette.  I just subscribed to the Forward Look Mailing
List.
   I am a long time Mopar lover, and have owned at least one Mopar from every
year from 1962 to 1980, and many more since.  I currently have a 1968
Barracuda, a 1984 Shelby Charger, a 1989 LeBaron GTC Turbo Coupe, the wife's
Eagle Vision, and my Ram.
   The first car I ever test drove, was a 1957 Belvedere 2dr Sedan.  Mom
wouldn't let me buy it because the clutch chattered.   I have always admired
the finned cars, (Grandpa was a Plymouth/Desoto Dealer in the late '50's) but
owning one was never a priority... until recently.
   I had been entertaining the idea of assembling a daily driver from an older
car with updated mechanicals.  I was looking at 81-83 Imperials, and eyeing a
few 68-72 "C" bodies.  Then, one Sunday afternoon, I saw her.   Returning home
from Western Michigan one Sunday about 2 months ago, I nearly put the wife's
Vision into a field trying to get back to a gorgeous white 1959 New Yorker 2dr
HT .  It was sitting in the front of a used car lot in rural central Michigan,
with $1500 on the windshield!!!  Save for 2 or 3 (probably critical) chrome
pieces, and one baseball sized hole in the front fender, the body was
incredible.  It looked like someone had swapped in an interior from a later
Imperial, but it was nicely done.  After procuring the dealer's number, (and
my wife pried me away) I drove home.
    At 9:00 the following morning, I excused myself from the meeting I was in,
and called the dealer.  The dealer's wife informed me that he was up north
visiting his daughter, and would be home Wednesday morning.  The dealer's wife
told me the car ran and drove beautifully!  I went back to my meeting, and
began plotting.
    I took my car trailer to work with me on Wednesday morning, and told the
boss I would have to leave around 8:30.  After leaving right on schedule, I
gassed up the Ram, and nosed her into the wind.  I thought I'd call the
dealer, and have him get the paperwork ready.  After a brief exchange of
salutations, I told him I was on the way to pick up the New Yorker.
   I nearly cried when he told me that the car was sold!  He had gotten home
on Tuesday evening, and a trucker stopped (probably in the same field I did)
and ended up buying my dream car.  For $1300.  Dejected, I returned to work.
   I was sick.  That was the perfect car.  I was sure I'd never find another
one like her.  It even had air conditioning!
   It gets worse.  I was taking my Barracuda up to get gas one afternoon about
two weeks later, and passed by a house about 5 miles from where I live (the
lot the New Yorker had been on was about 75 miles away).  I approached a
farmhouse with a semi parked behind the barn.  You'll never guess what was
parked out front.
   I've made a few attempts to contact the new owner, but have been
unsuccessful.  I seriously doubt he'd consider parting with his treasure.
   So, I've begun a new search (you were beginning to wonder if this story had
a point, weren't you?).  A new friend I've made recently suggested that I join
the Forward Look Mailing List (Thanks, Clay), and put the word out.
   I'm looking for a '57 to '61 Chrysler, Plymouth or DeSoto, preferably a 2dr
Hardtop or a Wagon.  I don't want to modify a nice original, a nice
restorable, or anything with any historical significance.  I hope to find a
car with a missing or broken drivetrain, needing some work, but not completely
scrap.
   My plan is to install updated engine and transmission, most probably a fuel
injected 360 with an A-518 overdrive transmission, R-134a air conditioning,
and other creature comforts.
   Thank you for taking the time to read my long-winded introduction.  I would
appreciate any information that you could share with me.
   Additionally, I have a small machine shop in which I fabricate, among other
things, heater delete cones for 1962-1965 B-Body cars.  If you have any parts
you need duplicated, fabricated, or repaired, I would enjoy talking with you
about it. I am currently researching reproducing heater delete parts for 1968
A-Bodies as well.  What parts does the Forward Look crowd need?

Thanks again,
Steve Charette