[FWDLK] HOOD? Boyz N de Hood? Hoo boy...

[FWDLK] HOOD? Boyz N de Hood? Hoo boy...

Sorry
couldnt resist
BUT
My 56 waggon has same problem.  I have to press down on back of hood each side
to 'seat' it other wise it sort of projects up beyond cowl.
My hinge pivots (just rivets folks) are worn, EZ enuf to check...
Hmmmm
It did NOT do this prior to my fine paint job tho.
Reading back in body part of shop manual there are instructions on how to
carry the hood.  One does NOT carry the hood flat with someone at each side-
which is how we most likely wanna do.
This is because that hat shaped  or U shaped brace along the back of hood,
right to left side, is the thing that holds the countour of the hood.  One
person per side allows that metal stiffner to take a new set which is not the
cowl contour.
The hood must be carried vertically, and stored same when off car.  And when
removing same U rotate it UP not flat.  But after 40 years many of our cars
have already had the hood deformed due to improper carrying and storage let
alone body shop setting hood on table or horses each corner and pressing down
on it
to sand etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One might be able to 'resprong' it but it'd be a real trial and error thing.
Note also I require the standard prop stick to hold up the front.  Just part
of the ageing process?
My hinges too are adjusted to lowest attachment point, in fact I went thru and
elongated the holes so it would sit down maximim possible.
Aint the holes, its the back of hood is spronged and possible worn pivots.
The need for prop is due to weak springs  I believe.
The hinge assembly is of overcenter design so in theory we should not have a
hinge problem at the cowl, leaving the culprit as spronging.
NOS hood hinge assemblys anyone?
Lars