[FWDLK] Profit from crushing

I asked this same question of a yard owner when I was in California and he
chucked a bit and gave me his reason for
chrushing:
   "I can sell pieces and parts of any older car to collectors for a fair
price (what his fair price was, he didn't say)
but I have to store the hulk until someone comes along wanting a part from
the time I get it till it's completely
stripped of all usualbe salvage. There is a amount of space that I can use
for anyother processing until its gone,
and I might make a profit over the long term of $200 to $1000 but I have to
factor in the cost of lost of that
area, which decreases the actual profit quite a bit. Or I find an industry
who is having trouble making EPA standards
(I'm assuming he meant Calif. EPA) and sell them the car outright for a
pollution credit and make a profit of between
$50 to $200  with no storage cost at all and I then sell the iron for $15
to $30 depending on the wieght."
   He also said that there is less hassle with liabilty if some one uses a
part and the gets hurt ie, wrecks and some
lawyer says the part was bad and tries to take his business and home
because someone used a 40 year old steering part
to go down the road at a hundered miles and hour.
  I don't know how true it was but the guy was friendly and willing to
explain the problem and also let me have the
part I wanted as long as I was willing to get it out of Calif.
Jim