Re: [FWDLK] Crushed beauties.

In a message dated 12/9/98 11:44:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pgalmish@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I am a little unclear as to how anyone can make a decent profit crushing a
car
 without parting it out first.   Could someone explain how this is feasible?

I haven't been able to figure it out, either.  I have an in-law (name omitted
to protect me) who spends countless hours of his life collecting scraps of
different metals, to make a monthly trip to the salvage yard an make 30-40
bucks.  This is not an indigent man, but one with money in the bank, and a
healthy retirement package.  My mother, God rest her soul, was forever saving
grocery bags, paper sacks, cardboard boxes, rubber bands... I think perhaps it
is habits that were learned during the depression.  I know see second and
third generations following the same practices, obviously learned at home.

This is not to say that I'm not a bit of a pack-rat myself, but some folks
just don't see any value in something unless it is "recycled", used again, or
used until it has no value; anything but appreciated and maintained purely for
aesthetic value or enjoyment.

I also have had the misfortune to watch a nice '66 Satellite deteriorate over
the course of the last ten years, a victim of the elements.  After seeing it
sit in the side yard of a house not far from mine, I approached the owner
about possibly selling the car.  While pleasant, he was quite firm in
explaining that the car had belonged to his father, and that he intended to
restore it.  The years have passed, and unfortunately, the car pretty much has
too.  Now that the interior is cracked and faded beyond repair, the paint is
thin and rusting, and the vinyl roof is peeling, the owner has covered his
prize with a heavy green canvas tarp... sure to complete the disintegration
process.

Merely parking the car in a garage, or on concrete, or using a proper car
cover, this car might have been saved, or savable.  Unfortunately, sometimes
we don't appreciate what we have until it's gone.

I was thinking about calling our crush-happy friend in Pennsylvania and
offering him $1500 for the Sport Suburban.

Steve still-without-a-project-but-not-gonna-miss-another-auction Charette
Lonely '68 Barracuda that needs an older brother or sister