Re: [FWDLK] doomed fins

Deane,
   We (the list) had a little discussion relative to this topic about the time
I joined up.  While I appreciate some folk's desire to start out with, and
own, only fresh, rust-free cars, I personally have no problem tig-welding in
sections of metal to replace those claimed by oxidation.  I find it a shame to
see perfectly re-claimable (in my mind) cars either crushed or cannabalized
beyond the point of re-claim.  It would seem that there should be enough
existing "parts cars", or cars with crash, fire, or other irrepairable damage
to supply needed used parts.
   I continue my quest for the "perfect car", one that may be days from the
crusher, that I can resurrect and build into my idea of the perfect driver.
This will leave the nice, rustfree easy restore for someone who will
appreciate it, to do with as they will.
As I've learned from my hot-rod and drag-racing friends, everybody likes
something different.  What would the world be like if we all just liked '57 T-
Birds?
   As for the car with the mashed hood and roof, if it's what you want, go for
it.  I have participated in the very projects you mentioned, taking a rusty,
bent, '27 Ford body and transformed it from worm-food to a stunning
automobile.  I learned much of what I know from the gentleman I worked for
back then.  If it's not what you want, fix it!
The roof will pop out, and with a little filler, be just like new.
   And tell your lovely wife how wonderful it is that she understands your
hobby, a hobby that you partake of at home (for the most part).  Tell her how
much you two will enjoy going for evening rides, car cruises, shows, and how
the car will appreciate once it's done.  Tell her how you're preserving a
piece of history to be enjoyed by generations (your kids?) to come.
   If she thinks this is all a bunch of fluff, tell her to talk to her
friends.  What to their husbands do for enjoyment?  Got a boat and gone
fishing all the time?  Up at the local tavern with the boys?  Off golfing all
weekend with three pals?  Staying late at the office with the new typist?  It
could be alot worse than having an old car under a cover in the driveway.
   This is one of the very few hobbies a man can enjoy with his entire family.
My wife didn't want to be involved until she finally tried it... once she went
along to a cruise or two, she discovered the fun she'd been missing.  And it
is something we can do together.   I still support her in the things she wants
to do, and now she supports me in mine.
   Get her on board and keep singing Baritone.
Steve