Re: [FWDLK] What makes a Texan?

Chris and Mike,

I have never seen any factory literature or period advertisements concerning
a 1956 Texan. Maybe one of list members in Texas may have some? I would like
to aquire a copy for my 56 Dodge collection. I did see and drive one a few
years ago and I do have an article from "Cars & Parts", dated February 1994.
According to the article:

Texans in 1956 are based on the Coronet series and came in a 2 door hard top
or 4 door sedan. Standard equipment was a 315 Poly 4bbl, automatic, and dual
exhaust. Colors were either sapphire white over oriental coral or jade green
over sapphire white. The chrome "TEXAN" script over a gold solid shape of
Texas emblems were placed on the trunk and both fins in place of the
standard emblems. The hood (RH side) and radio speaker grill both had small
red, black, and chrome badge with crossed wavy Lone Star flags, with "Texan"
at the bottom. These are available in reproduction. I am not sure if the
interior had any differences. Production continued into the 57 model year.
Production figures are unavailable.

The idea for the Texan arose between the governor of Texas and a Texas
native Chrysler executive. These cars were to be available only to selected
dealers. These dealers were, of course, on the same side of the political
fence as the governor. (Any of you Texans know who the governor was?) This
was expanded, after complaints, to all dealers.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500

At 11:53 PM 12/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
> ---- CEW <rapilje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Seems to be a wealth of information around on the '55-'56 Dodge
>> LaFemme.  But what about the Dodge Texan, which I believe was also
>> marketed for '55-'56.  What made it a Texan?  I've read only a paragraph
>> or two about it, and have never seen a picture.
>
>I believe the "Texan" was nothing more than a Coronet with an emblem change,
> although I haven't seen one in maybe 30 years and so could easily be mistaken.
>
>My impression was that this was a special model for Texas Dodge dealers not
> unlike the White Hat Specials of the later '60s.  If the Texan followed that
> mold, it might have offered an option package at a special low price.
>
>I've only seen two, a '56 and a '57, both four-door sedans, and in both cases I
> saw them before I was old enough to drive.  The "Texan" script was not the
same
> typeface as either the '56 or '57 Dodge.  The letter "T" had an undetailed map
> of the state of Texas behind it in gold (probably the same material as the '55
> Custom Royal's "Custom" diamond-shaped badge).  The "Texan" badge appeared in
> place of the normal model designation on both cars, and I believe it appeared
> on the trunk lid as well; in fact, I believe "Texan" script replaced the
> "Dodge" script on the '56 trunk lid, though again it's been so long I'm not
> 100% sure.
>
>Mike Sealey
>I'm Not A Texan But My Dad Is

>Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com