Re: [FWDLK] Title Services?

 ---- Jack Lewis <william.lewis6@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...I see
> title services advertised in Old Cars weekly, Hemmings, and even a listing
 every
>  day in local Salt Lake
> newspaper.  Anyone have any experience with these services.  How "legal" are
>  they?  If they are good bets,
> what do they require from new owner? i.e., bill of sale? must be notarized?
 VIN
>  plate info? Cost?

The only title services I'm familiar with are those based in Alabama, where they
 will issue a title for any pre-'81 car (may now include newer years as well)
 based on a bill of sale and the car's not appearing on the FBI's list of stolen
 iron.  These seem to cost from $175 to $300 depending on the vehicle and the
 individual title service.  If anyone on this list lives in Alabama, I imagine
 they could do it for less than the services charge.

There was an article on this in one of the national publications (I believe Cars
 & Parts) a few years back, but don't know where my copy is if it still exists.

There may be other options available to you.  In California, you can do a lien
 sale to yourself by sending the last registered owner a bill for storage in
 certified letter form.  After a number of days with no response, you may
 register the vehicle to yourself.  I did this last year with a '69 Olds,
 formerly from Nevada.  It's not without complications, but if you don't let
 yourself become intimidated it's not rocket science either.

> Utah complicates process for its own titles as they issue a title only to a
 car
>  that passes inspection and is
> currently registered.  Like, my Fury under resto (and not running) since I
>  purchased, so I have to wait until its
> done to even get title transferred from previous owner to my name!!  Does this
>  approach complicate my above question?

In California it might, since our DMV loves to charge late fees for such things;
 OTOH California doesn't require the inspection process either (no smog tests
 pre-'74).  Don't know what the process is in the land of my long-distant
 brethren.  I do know this'd be a problem with an out-of-state car, and might be
 one for a California car which had not been registered for five years (the
 point where it drops off the computer; all late penalties are forgiven but you
 have to buy brand new plates).

Hope this helps.

Mike Sealey

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com