From: VAN HOY
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] RIP OFF OLD LADY COMMENTS
Date: Thursday, January 14, 1999 10:47AM

Looks like FLAME WARS are starting!!!? Cut it out!!!
?
Look guys and gals, this is the good ol' U.S. of A.; if you want to cheat
some lil' ol' lady it's up to you [and her]; if you want to ask $5,000 for
your parts car and let it rust that's up to you too!!!
?
I've seen lots of cars rust away, including a '41 Ch-- convertible that was
parked for lack of tires in 1944.
?
I've also seen a guy, recently, a real jerk, talk the original owner of a
'66 Plymouth with 75K down from $275 to $265. [True story!]? Then he wrecked
it, collected ten times the price in insurance money, and won't sell me any
parts because he's saving them for his next '66.? [this was the 2d he's
wrecked]
?
I paid $2,500 for a #4 car.? Was it too much?? YES!? Is anyone complaining?
NO!? The old man dying of cancer who saved the car from being wrecked or
crushed for 43 years deserved something for his trouble.? If you don't have
a car you don't have a project and you can put all your sweat equity time
into honeydo projects.
?
Both extremes make me mad.? $200 bucks for a complete '48 Dodge is too low,
even if they did make a million of 'em.? It's more a matter of attitude.? If
you set out to steal something, or hold somebody up, or you think your
attitude is better than the next guy's, or your time is more valuable,
either way you give decent car collectors a black mark.? It's downright
sociopathic to be thinking of how you can get what you want and screw
everyone else.
?
End of sermon, my blood pressure is up, back to work.
?
 --Roger van Hoy, '55DeSoto, '42DeSoto, '66Plymouth, '73 Duster
Paid too much for all of them, paid too much for parts, spent too much time
fixing them--so what?