[FWDLK] 1955 Motor Life Article

Hi,
I'm new to the Forward Look mail list -- but not the Forward Look! In fact, I was there, and writing about it, when it was The Latest Thing. I was an automotive and racing writer back in the 50s, 60s & 70s. In fact, I was involved with cars in general, and Chrysler in particular, for many years. I was born in Highland Park, not too far from the Chyrsler and Ford Highland Park plants. My father was yardmaster at the old Dodge Main plant in Hamtramck for many, many years -- and I worked there for a summer while in college -- on one of the hardest jobs of my life! And it was in the Trim Dept., yet.

Anyhow, I recently corresponded with Dave S. while trying to locate a copy of Motor Life Magazine from the spring on 1955. He didn't have one but added me to the mail list and suggested I see if someone else out there in Forward Look-land might have a copy.

Reason I want it is that I joined the Motor Life staff in Jan. '55, and one of my first major assignments was to see if I could get my hands on a new Chrysler 300 for a Driver's Report. I did, with the help of Bert Bouwkamp, who was engineering honcho on the project. With Bert and another Chrysler engineer (whose name I can't recall), I spent a Detroit winter day (no snow or sleet, fortunately) tooling around in what became one of my all-time favorite cars. The article was the first one on the 300 to appear in a monthly magazine, probably in April or May.

BTW I was with Motor Life until early 1959, when I joined Popular Science as auto editor, or maybe they called it Detroit Editor then.

If you guys like car stories from the 50s & 60s, I've got a million of 'em. After I left Pop Sci, I was with BBDO Ad Agency, which had the Dodge & Dodge Truck and Autolite accounts, for about 5 years. I was kind of their token performance nut/writer and I worked a lot on the Dodge Rebellion ad campaigns. Also did a lot of PR for racing teams, both NASCAR and drag racing: Daviid Pearson & several other stockers, the Ramchargers, Color Me Gone and other drag teams.

This is pretty long, so I'll sign off for now.

Ken Fermoyle
Ken Fermoyle, publisher & computer columnist????
Fermoyle Publications: Editorial Services, Newsletters,
Graphics Design - (818) 346-9384?????????
"In the beginning was the Word..." And don't you forget it!?????????????????????????????????