[FWDLK] Overdrive

Hi,
Someone wrote last week asking for info on an overdrive that fits behind an
automatic trans, and I thought my info might be of interest to more than
just the original writer...

Sounds to me like the Hone overdrive that was available in the late '60s
(and may have been out before then). It was a 2-speed unit that fit behind
the transmission; you had to cut about a foot (13 inches the writer said,
which sounds right) out of the driveshaft and change the speedo cable.
Making sure the driveshaft was properly cut & balanced was key to a
successful installation.

I had one in a '69 Ford Econoline 300 Van camper conversion  (302 V8 &
automatic) and it worked great. The van had a 4.10 rear axle, and I think
the overdrive was about 2.80 to 1, I think but not sure! Anyhow, in
overdirve high the final gearing was about 3.25, somewhere in that
neighborhood. Overdrive 2nd was about 3.70 or so, a very useful ratio. I
only used overdrive high on level roads on calm days or with a tailwind.
Having a 6-speed  was really great.
I often got as much as 15mpg at 65-70 mph -- very good for a 6000-6500-lb
vehicle with a high silhouette (it had a raised roof to provide standup
room, stove, small fridge, pressure water system, etc). Fully loaded for a
camping trip, 5 of us aboard and with a trail bike on it, the van sometimes
weighed as much as 7500 lbs or so. It had a GVW rating of 8500 lbs, tough.
I always figured you broke a lot fewer parts by underloading than overloading!

The overdrive would be even better in a lighter vehicle with less wind
resistance.

I used the van as a rolling test bed when I was editor of Petersen's Wheels
Afield camping/RV mag (1966-75). It was really trick! I'll see if I can dig
up the issue that had the Hone overdrive report.

Hope you don't mind me sending stuff like this to the whole list.

Ken