Re: [FWDLK] Gas prices

I would like to offer my humble opinion on gas pricing.  I understand the
agony each European driver feels when paying $4,$5 or more per US gallon.
However, it should be understood that our gas is not subject to the same
degree of government control.  It is our responsibility in a free-market
economy to exert direct consumer control over pricing at all times.  In fact,
we always do to one degree or another.  It is only a matter of how severely
we wish to impose that control.  At the present time, we are at a critical
point in our consumer role.  Boycotting for a day, as pointed out by so many,
is no solution at all.  It is only through a sustained modification of our
driving habits that we can make a significant and lasting change in pricing
ouccur.  We will benefit directly from increased supply and reduced demand.
We will also enjoy a small reduction in air pollutants (not a bad side
effect).  I love to drive my old Plymouth whenever possible, but have made a
committment to ride my bike to work every day (rain or shine).  I have
faithfully adhered to this quest since October of `98.  I will continue to do
so!  I am not so different than many of you.  I am 38 years old, not in the
greatest physical condition, suffer from arthritis (the riding helps), and
had chronic back pain until I began riding.  If I can do this and realize the
many benefits, then many of you can as well.

My best to all, both here and abroad,

David Maxwell