[FWDLK] power steering unit leaks

Does anyone have any experience replacing the main power steering unit?  My
'57 DeSoto Firedome has a leak in the upper unit.  Right now the fluid is
leaking out of the vent hole in the upper housing, indication an internal
leak.  What about just plugging off the vent hole so the fluid doesn't leak
out?

Reading the repair manual sounds like this is a major job, taking out the
front seat, the steering wheel, the pitman arm, removing the unit up
through the floorboard, replacing the seals, etc, then re-installing.

What about using a "seal conditioner" -- the junk in a can which is
supposed to help stop leaks?  The top of the reservoir says "Use type A
fluid", and my parts man insisted I use Dexron III as a replacement (he
said the old Type A is no longer available, and Dexron II would not be good
for the seals).  Perhaps someone else used Dexron II before and that could
be my problem.  Any ideas?

Ed