Re: [FWDLK] COPYRIGHT- copyWRONG?

A very old principle in English common law is that those who sleep on their
rights lose them.  A competitor who sleeps on a market is undeserving of a
Court's sympathy.  A copyright holder who is no longer publishing or
licensing the work forfeits his claims.  The Constitution provides that
inventors and artists should be stimulated to invent and publish and
patents and copyrights are provided for that.  But inventors who keep their
inventions locked up and publishers who hoarde a market are out of synch
with this.  It's like taxes, if a deduction can be taken that is arguably
valid, take it.  If the IRS can audit and disallow it later, OK.  But that
would be about 0.01% of the time.

Anybody can put a copyright notice on his work.  Chrysler didn't on a lot
of their parts manuals, e.g., my 55-56 parts manual.  Nowadays, a notice
isn't required.  But in order to sue, the copyright owner has to file a
form with the Copyright Office and file two best copies in the Library of
Congress.  If done right, that then becomes a registered copyright.

If we're talking a few copies, no profit, obsolete books; then just do it.
But if you want to be squeky clean, then the up-and-up way is to write the
copyright owner, describe your intended activity, and ask for written
permission.  It usually comes as easy as that.

Richard Main, attorney-at-law