[FWDLK] Cost of parts - period!

Story time-
We searched high and low for replacement soles for my grandma's high button
shoes- found a set in Indy for  $$$$$$$.  When asked why they were so
expensive the owner said ' they dont make em any more, where R U going to find
another set?'.
sort of like old car parts, even  cars in general?
I complained to my brother, 2 yrs younger than me, about the price of the dash
wiring I bought from RI Wiring, in spite of its originality and high quality.
Using his wisdom he responsed 'have you priced a harness for a new car
lately?".  And in that light, I replaced the alternator on my 3.0 Probe V6 3
yrs ago, what was it , $300.00??? And replacement rotors- at least $75????
And  air conditioning condenser including labor like $325+ ???  I just paid
$28 for a vac advance for my 41 Ply, and $40 for a pair of high tech 50 w. 6v.
stop/turn bulbs.  And on and on.....

There was a REASON for being able to buy NORS glass taillite lenses for my 41
Ply for 50 cents each- Who the (&*(*(&@@!!!!!!! needs a box of 30 like that
vendor?  If it was a 41 Chevy they might be $3 to $5 due to bow tie
popularity?

Why do we see more Kustoms, even mild ones, what else R U going to do with
that 50 Merc shell, the trim has been stripped, etc etc.  SO U make a Kustom.
The 'new' shaved and lowered and whatevered cars we see today are usually the
resurrection of an almost unsalvageable mess, not the raping of a decent old
driver.

Now if one lives long enough, they might be lucky relative to their car.  The
age group that relates to a given era will die off and one might be able to
buy a replacement car at a cheap price since all those that knew, loved, and
coveted that model are dying and selling their cars, or unwilling or unable to
maintain them.  (get in line for my '41?)

My 'new' 41 Plymouth, how many 20 somethings want it, want to drive it in
todays traffic with its 87 hp and invisible taillights, etc etc?????   And
Model 'A''s, other than driving in parades or to a car show 100 miles or
closer, whats it 'good' for????
All this related to the idea of a cycle in the desirability of cars relative
to the generation that is living, vital, active.

I no longer complain about parts costs- I am lucky to FIND the part let alone
grumble about its cost.  If it is sky high, a ripoff, one does not buy it??
And search another  3, 4, or 10 months for another---  remember this is
supposed to be FUN.......(????)
There is no justice here of course.  Its just life.
We can always go fishin'.....
Lars

And PS- onceit a while U will find a bargain- like the set of  excellent 4
wheel covers for my 56 Plymouth I got for $5 (yes) but I gave the guy another
ten anyway. Still cheap.
Still in my garage.  Still a bargain?  Or just more 'stuff'???????????