Re: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge Engine #

John,

You have a correct 56 Dodge 315 Poly engine. D633 and "Super Red Ram" both
indicate a 1956 315 engine. The "Super 230 Power" script on the glove box
door indicates 230 horsepower 4 bl carb option. This script was not always
used when this option was installed and is not very common. This engine was
called the "Super Powered Super Red Ram". If the engine was ever swapped, a
correct engine was replaced.
The original engine's serial number was stamped at the assembly factory on
the outside of the car's frame on the hump that goes over the left rear
axel, and slightly behind the axel. It is a very light stamp, mostly in the
paint film. If your frame paint is in good condition in this area and there
is no rust, it should be visible with a bright light held at a shallow
angle. The Model number is also stamped in the same place, but very deep,
and may still read even when a little rusty.

Dave Homstad, 56 Dodge D500
At 04:25 PM 9/7/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I don't know much about the history of my 56 Dodge Wagon. It has the Super Red
>Ram V8: 4bl Carb, dual exhaust, "Super 230 Powered" script on glove box door.
>The engine number is: D633-74490. Can anyone confirm for me that this is an
>origonal 315 engine?
>
>The VIN is 35091349 and trim # is 835.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>John M