Re: [FWDLK] 392 in 57-8 Plymouth from the factory

Re: [FWDLK] 392 in 57-8 Plymouth from the factory

I seriously doubt any Hemis were factory installed in '57 or '58 Plymouths.  I'm sure this "older fellow" probably just knew someone who dropped in a Chrysler Hemi because they could.  There are all kinds of stories about how Plymouth put in a Hemi or two at the factory, about how Plymouth made one or two black Fury convertibles, etc.  But I believe that's all they are  --  stories.

I'm sure everyone on this list knows how easy it would be to drop in a 440, or 392 Hemi, or whatever, and tell everyone it came from the factory that way.  Same thing goes for the Furys - just take a convertible and put Fury trim on it and there you go!  A "factory" '57 Fury convertible!  Sorry, I don't buy it.   If a guy wants to do that to a car, then that's his prerogative, but he would need substantial proof to convince anybody the factory did what they keep insisting they never did.  An untruth told over and over doesn't turn it into the truth.

By the way, at every car show my Fury goes, at least ten older fellows had one exactly like it   ;-)  ,  and all of them were "fast as hell."  Exaggeration is human nature, is it not?

Mark  mjh
'57 Fury

I got talking to an older fellow at a local cruise night on Sunday. He was
 telling me all about the 57 Belvedere he owned. He also went on to tell me he
 knew of TWO special order 57 or 58's that came factory with 392 HEMIs. He
 remembers one of them well as it was a friend who ordered it and it was "fast
 as hell". Apparently the torsion bars rotted at the mounts and both snapped
 while the car was driving (perhaps the added weight didn't help?). I'd love to
 see proof that these cars were produced. Any more tales out there?
           Todd

http://www.mailexcite.com