[FWDLK] Taillights, Brake lights

All the rear end lights were working...... just before paint job I noticed
that the brake lights were not working.  Tonight I put the trim rings and
taillight assembly back on the car.  Testing shows the following (mixed)
results.

Turned on the running lights with both rear bulbs out of the assembly.  No
lights at all.  Put the drivers side bulb socket into assembly and after a
few sparks the running light element came on.  So did the passenger side
running light.  When I put the passg side bulb in there were a few sparks
and then both elements were lit making it look like the brake light on the
passg side was on.  Hit the brakes and neither side changed.  Pulled both
bulbs out of the assembly.  Popped the bulbs out of the wiring harness, they
look ok.  Replaced the passg side with a new bulb.  Same results.  Later
this evening I tried the whole thing again, only this time the passg side
does not light one element when I insert the drivers side into the assembly,
but the results are the same.  Both elements light when I put passg side in.
Still no brake lights (or right turn signal, with or without the passg bulb
in the assembly).

So.... are the bulb sockets supposed to ground on the assembly to give me
light?  Or do I have a short somewhere?  What is up with the passg side!??!
I assume that this strange combo is causing the no right turn signal
problem.  Brake light related or something different?  The lic plate light
appears fine if that has any affect on this scenario.

Thanks again.  Sorry to be a heavy poster, hopefully car will be done soon
and I can stop asking SO many questions!

See ya,  Joe.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5768
99 GMC Sierra K1500 SLE Z71 4x4 Ext Cab Shortbed 5.3L Blue/Pewter.
55 Plymouth Belvedere 2dr Club Coupe V8 Auto Red/Black Sport Tone.
http://www.infopage.com/plymouth/