[FWDLK] wheels

I always remember what's said but forget the source (credible or not).
Anyway..... someone told me or I read somewhere that it was a
bad idea to put radial tires on old rims. The reason being was that
the old 50's or earlier wheels were not designed to withstand the
different stress/load dynamics of new radial tires. This maybe only
be referring to racing situations etc.? I always remembered it being
said but don't know it the info is correct or just more garbage info.
Can anybody clarify this?
Deane