Re: [FWDLK] Parting cars out

Phil Patterson writes: Yeah, I have to agree with Mark, if it is an actual 25,000 mile cherry original , it should be saved. If it is not either wrecked and totaled, or detiorated to the point of no return, low mile cherries should always be preserved. Also, Boyd Coddington and a few other fairly rich fellows have started the trend of finding the cherriest car to start on for heavy customizing, supposedly because it saves time and money. Doesn't make sense to me, if you're cuttin the car to pieces anyway, does it matter that much what shape it is in? Cherry, original cars of any kind are by their nature, rare and hard to find. It always gives me goose bumps to sit down in a car that is 20, 30  years or even older and it still smells and looks like new. No amount of restoration can give that to a car. Body style is irrelevent in this matter. You basically have in your posession a time capsule from whatever year the car was manufactured, it is a shame to throw away history. A lot of the big Mopar meets have been having special classes for survivor cars. There are some guys who collect completely on this basis. So cutting up a car in great condition just because it is a common or high production number model, is extremely short sighted and is the equivilent of throwing money away. Trashing Aunt Matilda's, the neighbor's down the street, or whoever's car for parts, when it could possibly be the finest original car of it's type, is just not smart. I would only ever cut up a car like that if the car I was using the parts for was extremely rare or of such a historical nature as to be priceless. Even so, I wouldn't cut up a car for that kind of project until I was absolutely sure I couldn't find the parts somewhere else. You can't restore originality, once it is gone, it is gone forever.

MARK J HASH wrote:

 I may strike a nerve here, but I just saw an ad on the Forward Look for sale list that said the person is parting out a nice 25,000 mile 1960 Dodge Phoenix 4 door.  Isn't that kind of the opposite way we want to go??  Don't we want to put these together rather than part them out??  I hope this car is not being parted out simply because it's a 4 door car, for me that would be as appalling as someone taking a nice 25,000 mile car and chopping the top, throwing in a 440, etc and throwing the original stuff away. It's really a shame that some people think the only cars worth saving are 2 door hardtops and convertibles. Just my 2 cents for the day. . .Mark   mjh