[FWDLK] Advice solicited: 6-cylinder shot

[FWDLK] Advice solicited: 6-cylinder shot

Lookers,

I have a '55 Savoy with a flathead 6.  I drove it for the first time last
weekend; it smokes badly, especially through the vent cap and blowby tube --
and has little power.  It looks like the engine will need some work.

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the rings are the likely culprit (someone tell
me, valve guides could be responsible!  That I would consider doing myself).
I guess I have 3 choices:

1) Get an engine rebuild kit, and have my local reputable repair guy do the
work
2) Get a short block, and have him swap parts (oh yeah, the exhaust manifold
will probably need replacing too)
3) Get a long block and have him drop it in

What's your advice?  What's likely to be the cheapest and/or best route, and
can you recommend who to go to for parts for any option?

    Thanks
    Dan
    '55 Savoy