Re: [FWDLK] Dead by the year 2000?

Here in Canada, not only is the Plymouth dead, except for
the Plymouth Prowler, but so is the Dodge car, except for
the Dodge Viper.   All Chrysler Canada dealers sell Chrysler
cars and Dodge Trucks, so the move was an easy one.

The Plymouth Breeze and Dodge Stratus were replaced by a
lower priced line of Chrysler Cirrus.   The Dodge Avenger
was just laid to rest - it is basically the same as the Chrysler
Sebring coupe.  The new 2000 Neon was introduced as the
Chrysler Neon, with the Chrysler name and emblems on it.
The Intrepid has always been sold in Canada as a Chrysler.
The Plymouth Voyager is the same as the Dodge Caravan,
which continues as do all Dodge Trucks.

It is indeed sad to see Plymouth go, but Chrysler stopped
putting money into the name back in the 1970's.  The Chrysler
Cordoba was orginally supposed to have been the Plymouth
Sebring.  The American Chrysler firm had no Plymouth version
of the Dodge Diplomat, although Chrysler Canada had the
Plymouth Caravelle.    And Chrysler introduced the down-sized
Plymouth Gran Fury in 1980, one year after the Chrysler and
Dodge versions.

It just shows how strong the Plymouth name was, in that it
took 25 years to kill it.

Chrysler Canada dropped the Plymouth and Dodge cars to
strengthen its make sales **figures**.  Individually, the Caravan
and Voyager were behind the Ford Windstar.  Put the sales
together, though, as they are now, and Windstar  does not
come close.  Similarly, the Neon and Cirrus nameplates
will rise up on the sales charts, as they are no longer split
between Dodge and Plymouth variations.

Bill W