Re: [FWDLK] 1958 PLYMOUTH HARD STARTING

John,

Because starter fluid (ether) is very flammable and easier to ignite than
gasoline. If the gas/air fuel ratio is off (either lean or rich), or the
spark is weak, ether will ignite when gas will not. If you have a reasonable
fuel ratio and a healthy spark, it should run! I assume you have the choke
on the carb properly set.

Try unplugging one plug wire at the plug end. Insert an old spark plug in
the wire. Hold the plug's threaded end to ground on the engine, crank the
starter over, and watch the spark. It should be bright and strong.

When the starter is cranking, it draws so much current that the battery
voltage to the coil will drop, resulting in a weaker spark, just when you
need the maximum spark. To compensate, many cars have a bypass wire around
the ballast resistor. The ballast resistor limits voltage and current flow
to the coil during normal running operation to prevent coil overheating.
This bypass comes from a starter terminal or ignition switch and applies
what's left of the full battery voltage directly to the ignition coil only
when the starter is engaged. I am not sure if a 58 Plymouth has this bypass.
My 56 Dodge doesn't.

Try measuring the voltage at the ballast resistor with the engine off, the
points open,  and the key on. It should be the same as the battery positive
terminal. If the voltage is lower at the ballast resistor, then you have a
high resistance in the wiring.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500