Re: [FWDLK] Plymouth Demise

The current success of a marque has a direct correlation to the value of
collecting older models.  Compare the values of orphan cars to Chevrolets or
Fords of the same vintage and original price range.  Is a '57 Bel Air
convertible "worth" $30,000 because it's a better car, or because there are
more Chevrolet fanatics out there?

Not only are your restored Plymouths going to depreciate and be less
marketable, but there will be less restorations.  If you find two rust
buckets that each will take the same amount of time and effort to restore,
but one will be worth twice as much when completed, which one is the average
person going to choose?

Sure making and selling cars is a business, but it is the average, ordinary
person or family that ultimately decides what makes and models will be
popular.  Much as I've grown to hate GM, they have a solid history of making
cars that people want, and making people want their cars, clear back to
Alfred Sloan.  By comparison, Chrysler Corporation has a history of unwanted
products and poor management.  I say this latest debacle will go down in
history as yet another corporate bungle.

Whether you're the sort who takes action, or the kind that goes back out to
the garage to work on your ForwardLook car, this current situation is going
to make an impact on you.  Would those of the former category please tell us
who to contact in case we want to make our opinions known?

--Roger van Hoy, '55DeSoto, '42DeSoto, '66Plymouth, '73Duster.