Re: [FWDLK] 58 Mopar rust problem?

Ron Waters wrote:

> Most of our cars rusted from the inside out.  Any water (dirt, sand, SALT,
> etc) that got into the rockers ate its way out.  Since the trunk lids were
> not sealed very well, water, etc. got in and settled in the lowest parts of
> the trunks and ate its way out.  Lapped sheet metal, which is plentiful on
> our cars is a breeding ground for rust.  My experience from looking at rust
> free original fenders is that they were not undercoated in the last 8-10
> inches (the eyebrow area).  The rest of the inner fender did have some
> undercoating in the form of a tough coating that even 40 years later is
> tough to remove.  Chrysler could have eliminated the nightmare of headlites
> falling out of fenders if they had taken the time to fully undercoat the
> inner parts of the fenders.
>
> Ron

TADA, at the WPC swap meet in Detroit today I bought the service bulletin
covering this very topic for my 57's. Also addresses the "dust"
infiltration problem. Lots of areas to look at with clear drawings of the
known (at that time) problem areas. 34 pages I think.
--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy