Re: [FWDLK] how they got hooked

Well, I for one was first turned onto old cars while growing up in Peerless,
Montana.  My dad had a '49 Hudson, which we towed with us when we moved out
to Oregon, and I loved that car.  I've still never totally forgiven him for
selling it.

When I was of age, first I got a '64 Impala, which got wrecked in a terrible
crash that claimed an uncle of mine, then the obligatory '57 Chev (it seems
like every old car nut has owned one of these belly-button cars at some
point in time).

Then, my senior year of college, I stumbled across a '54 Ford sitting out by
the highway with a "FOR SALE" sign in the window.  Wanting to check it out,
I walked down the long, brush and tree covered gravel drive (which was
hidden from view from the highway), to find the owner.  My widening eyes got
bigger the further down the driveway I walked, for every square inch of this
30+ acre plot was filled with old cars!!!  Nearly every make was represented
here, from the late 1930s all the way to late models.

To shorten the story a bit, I got to know the owner (a real cantankerous old
man) and since I was a starving college student, it took me two years, a
whole bunch of weed whacking, some introductions to other guys who bought
cars from him, an article I wrote on him (which appeared in Cars & Parts in
the salvage yard section) and some loose change, and finally I got my pick
of cars in his yard.  My choice was narrowed down to one of these three:  a
'57 Buick Roadmaster Riviera painted Mary Kay pink,  a '57 Plymouth Fury
(painted red and rusted to the core), or a '58 Dodge Sweptside Pickup (with
a V8 - I think one of about 150 so equipped that year).

Those of you who've seen Mr. Finzzz know that I chose the Fury, though that
Sweptside was very hard to pass up.  Although Willie doesn't have it
anymore, I've heard it still exists and is for sale in the Eugene, OR area,
though the rust is almost prohibitive on it.  And Mr. Finzzz took eight long
years to restore, but is now my pride and joy. . . hope this long post
doesn't bore y'all to tears, but it's nice to remember sometimes how lucky I
was to "discover" a lost '57 Fury and bring it back to new.

Let's hear some other people's stories now!!!

Mark   mjh

'57 Fury  (Mr. Finzzz)