[FWDLK] Price Comparisons for 1959

While researching the background of my 1959 Dodge, I went to the public
library and searched the microfiche records for newspaper ads of the
dealership that sold it.  In the process, I also discovered prices for a lot
of other things.  Here is a list of items taken from actual ads in February
1959 Daily Press newspapers (Newport News, VA.):

1959 Plymouth V-8 Club Sedan (tu-tone, push button drive, radio and heater,
whitewall tires, many, many other extras) - $2295

1947 Olds 76 Sedanette  with radio, heater, hydramatic, runs and drives good!
 State inspected - $39

GE 21" remote control cabinet black and white television - $239.95

Dukes mayonaise - 37 cents a pint.

Kayro Syrup - 26 cents a bottle

Zest soap - 3 bars (regular size) - 47 cents

Peter Pan peanut butter - 65 cents for 18 ounces

Comet Cleanser - 14 oz. - 31 cents for 2 cans

Mueller's Elbow macaroni - 16 oz. - 23 cents.

Dagwood Bumstead's Boss came to drag him back to work

Beetle Baily ate Sarge's donuts

Charlie Brown was praising dogs, and got a hug from Snoopy