Re: [FWDLK] Brakes- when to upgrade if U can lock em?

Re: [FWDLK] Brakes- when to upgrade if U can lock em?

I have to agree with Karl Peterson.
It is ALL about arcing the linings to fit the drums.  This means
cutting the lining on a machine that follows an arc so that the
lining comes in full contact with the drum.    I have a service
bulletin that says the linings should be cut slightly UNDERSIZE
of the drum so that the center of the lining hits the drum first
and the rest is then pressed into contact.  .010 to .024 is
recommended.  When I have linings done I ask for a consistent
..015 undersize on all of them and that the drums also be cut
equally.
Arc grind is also called contour grinding.
Many shops gave up their arc grinding machines when the EPA said
they could no longer grind on asbestos linings but call around,
some place in your area still has a machine.
I have no complaints whatsoever about any of the brakes on
several forward look cars that I have had over the years that
have been arc ground.
The magazine articles from that time are wrong.  The brakes
simply need to be set up right to be equal and superior to
anything from the other companies.

Wayne