Re: [FWDLK] Original Auto Interiors

> Hi, Mike:
>
> Congratulations on expanding your horizons from the Imperial Mailing
> List to include the Forward Look list. Any chance you'll be continuing
> your name-calling charade with your brother-in-law on this list too? Has
> the Imperial heat died down yet, on that one?

Since his 62 Imperial doesn't qualify for this list, I'll have to reserve my
derisive comments for Canadians.  :oD

> But you asked who could make up the seat covers, and so I have to ask
> whether you asked Original Auto Interiors whether they could. You see,
> when I was there, they were in the midst of creating a bunch of Forward
> Look seat cover sets. If they have a pattern and if all you need is the
> covers made up, then this might just be an easy one to solve.

Thanks for the tip, Dick--I don't know why I didn't ask them that when I had
them on the phone!  Has anyone on the list had good luck with Original Auto
Interiors (making up seat covers)?

>But with seat covers that are reasonably correct, wouldn't
> the "frames-springs-foam-install covers" be a pretty standard task for
> any automotive upholsterer?

It SHOULD be, but in this Age of Incompetence, I trust myself to be more
careful and do a better and more thorough job, unless I know someone who's
had experience with the shop.  I think a hobbyist of average ability who's
willing to learn and take the time can almost always do a better job than a
professional, whether it's engine rebuilding, carpet installation or
component restoration. It's not that the professionals CAN'T do a great job,
but they don't always invest the time or pride necessary.  Of course,
convertible top installation might be an exception to this theory....

Mike Trettin
Newton, Iowa
1960 New Yorker
1956 Imperial