[FWDLK] Dumb Brake Question

Hello to everyone.  I hope the weather is nice enough
for you all to get some miles on your cars this
Memorial Day.

Jason has been driving his 56 Belevedere regularly and
he is the hit of all the girls and most of the guys as
well.  Car's running good except a problem with the
brakes occurred.

For no apparrent reason, the brake pedal has gotten
spongy and goes to the floor before any back pressure
is felt.  Checked the fluid and found it down about an
inch.  Looked under as best I could and could see no
signs of leakage (need to get it on a rack for a
closer look).  Filled the fluid and the pedal pressue
is better but not good.  Comes up a little with
pumping, but not as solid as it always was.

I'll assume I need to adjust the brake drums but I
think there is more to this since it happened all of a
sudden rather than normal wear down.  Jason said he
made a hard stop to avoid a dog the day before he
noticed the problem.

I'm concerned about letting him continue to drive it
until it's checked out (which won't be done for about
a week) but I also remember when I was his age, spongy
brakes were pretty commonplace on the old cars and
they always seemed to work.  BTW these are not power
brakes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help and happy Memorial Day.

Joe (and Jason)
56 Belvedere